The day after Kevin Spacey apologized following an accusation that he made a sexual advance on a 14-year-old boy in the 1980s, Netflix announced that the next season of his show “House of Cards” would be its last.
Netflix and Media Rights Capital, the studio behind the show, said in a statement Monday they were “deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey.”
“Executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported,” the statement said. “As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”
A Netflix spokeswoman said the decision to make the sixth season the show’s last had been made months ago. Those episodes are scheduled to be released in 2018.
Mr. Spacey has played the lead character in “House of Cards” since it debuted in 2013, starring alongside Robin Wright and also serving as an executive producer. The political thriller was a breakthrough for Netflix, just as it was starting its efforts into producing original programming and offering subscribers an opportunity to watch an entire season of a new series in one fell swoop. Mr. Spacey’s over-the-top performance as Frank Underwood has earned him five Emmy Award nominations.